(Below is an article written by Rev. Tom Brock of pastorsstudy.org. At the end of Pastor Brock's article I have posted some additional comments and information. You can follow Pastor Brock on Facebook - here and Twitter - here.)
The group "Decolonize Lutheranism" met recently at LSTC to combat racism (good) and to promote the acceptance of homosexuality and transgenderism (bad). They had transgender bathrooms and some very liberal speakers. Joelle Colville-Hanson is the Director for Evangelical Mission of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. She tweeted this: "Luther walked into this church and said f**k this! This shit is not right."
Using profanity is now in vogue by some of the pastors and leaders of the ELCA, with popular ELCA Pastor Nadia Bolz-Weber using it in her speeches and books. I am part of a clergy Facebook page and the profanity used by some ELCA pastors is disturbing.
I believe the Apostle Paul would remind us (Ephesians 4:29):
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear".
In Jesus our Savior,
Pastor Tom Brock
Dan Skogen writing:
My apologies for the language we have posted from these ELCA leaders. But it is necessary to share with you the extent of their depravity and the rebelliousness of their hearts.
Joelle Colville-Hanson, whom was mentioned in the article above, wrote this about herself, "People who know me know that in private I curse like a sailor.” (see here) Obviously Joelle doesn't just save her cursing for private conversations because in the same blog she uses the words "shit" and "bitch." And in a different blog Joelle wrote,"I used to have a sweatshirt that said:
I'm not a Bitch. I'm THE Bitch. And that's MS. Bitch to YOU!" (see here)
And here is a screenshot from one of the leaders of #decolonizeLutheranism, Francisco Herrera:
Also, did you know that Thrivent Financial helped to fund the #decolonizeLutheranism conference?
Once again the ELCA shows its Jew-hate. In August, the ELCA passed two vile anti-Israel, anti-Semitic resolutions. (see here) This time, the ELCA’s hatred for the Jewish nation comes in the form of a completely biased joint letter from the ELCA and other denominations to the major candidates for President of the United States of America. The letter contains lies, fallacies, distortion of the truth and inaccurate situational realities. Here are a number of them:
- Calling the situation an Israeli military “occupation” of “East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza…” which is completely false. Israel is not an “occupier.” (see video at the bottom of this blog)
- Complaining of “Ongoing settlement expansion…” as if Israel has no right to build in land that they won when they were attacked by Arab countries.
- Saying “The blockade of Gaza has led to immense human suffering.” And here the ELCA and other churches are fabricating the “immense human suffering” due to the blockade when the reality is that Israel’s blockade is to prevent weapons and materials, used to harm Israel, to be brought into Gaza. Of course the denominations make no mention of the terrorist leaders of Gaza who are the actual source of “immense human suffering” or that the Palestinians are constantly smuggling weapons and committing violence and terrorism against the Jews.
- Then the letter signers say “This status quo is clearly contrary to global security interests, including those of the U.S., and a source of violent extremism throughout the region.” Labeling Israel’s situation as “a source of violent extremism throughout the region” shows their bias because they lay the blame at Israel's feet, as well as justify the Muslim hatred for Jews. Hatred for the Jewish people was in existence, in the Muslim communities which make up most of the region, long before Israel came into being and won additional land in a defensive victory.
- They go on, “the daily indignities and stresses of the occupation foster human suffering and have led to emigration from the small but vital Palestinian Christian community.” False again. The Muslim extreme-ism is the cause of the dwindling Palestinian Christian community in Gaza and the West Bank. (see here)
- Finally the church leaders say this in their letter, “To ease tensions, we urge you to support people-to-people exchanges and the end of practices under the occupation that result in major human rights abuses, such as home demolitions, systematic land seizures, travel restrictions, the blockade of Gaza, and indefinite administrative detention, including detention of persons under eighteen.” Seriously? The actual situation: the homes being demolished are those of terrorists and those of squatters. The travel restrictions mentioned are a protective measure and would not be implemented if not for the Palestinians constant attacks on Israeli men, women and children. (read letter here)
Again, you should notice that this letter only addresses the signer’s grievances against Israel, many of them fabricated. They make no list of grievances perpetrated by the Palestinians. That is par for the course and an obvious sign of the ELCA’s and other participating church’s anti-Semitism.
(The following was written by Rev. Tom Brock of pastorsstudy.org. You can follow Pastor Brock on Facebook - here and twitter - here.)
Ebenezer Lutheran Church, now called Herchurch, is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Herchurch worships God as "the goddess" and "Mother". At its upcoming Goddess Festival, here are some of the workshops:
Mandala making (my note: mandalas are Hindu symbols)
Our Earth Mother, ourselves…
Cleaning out and owning your queer identity: a healing guided meditation with healing priestess
Yoga for ecstasy and healing (see here)
If you are a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and this doesn't get you to leave, I ask you to ask yourself "What would?" ELCA leadership does not discipline this congregation and in the past has defended it.
Sincerely in Christ,
Pastor Tom Brock
Over the past year I have been come across a number of comments by ELCA pastors who are calling the 2009 ELCA policy on homosexual pastors “discrimination” for allowing congregations to refrain from calling or considering a practicing homosexual pastor for their position. The same ELCA leaders also view the congregation's decision to not consider a sexually active gay pastor to be discriminatory. Read the following comment/question to ELCA Bishop Bill Gohl by ELCA Pastor and moderator for the ELCA Clergy Facebook page, Clint Schnekloth:
“…the current policy established in 2009 would allow congregations from excluding candidates who are in committed, same-gender relationships. Are you saying that you won't allow congregations in your synod to exercise that form of discrimination, even though it is enshrined in our current polity?
If so, I commend you, but I wonder, will you also work to change the discriminatory policies we adopted in 2009, and work for full parity for all rostered leaders?” (see comment section of the Bishop’s blog here)
Another ELCA leader, Libby Howe, responded to Rev. Schnekloth saying:
“Thank you for this question. As one responsible for the mobility process in my synod, I am troubled by the way that the 2009 decisions permit, in fact encourage, congregations to codify discrimination. Not only that but they also require pastors to disclose their sexual orientation to the synod office (who is bound to honor the discrimination of congregations) whether or not a pastor wants to.”
And Pastor Jason Churchill said:
“To name the exclusion of any candidate based on race, color, gender, or sexuality by the church is nothing less than to name it one of the greatest sins we have committed against the Creator.”
So according to many ELCA leaders a church is “discriminating” against homosexuals if they do not want an unrepentant practicing homosexual as their pastor. I don’t see how anyone who believes Scripture, that homosexual activity is sinful, can feel welcome or safe in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
(The following was written a number of weeks ago by Rev. Tom Brock of pastorsstudy.org. You can follow Pastor Brock on Facebook - here and twitter - here.)
Tonight I attended a worship service at a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Sadly, this congregation uses the ELCA's newest hymnal which changes hymns and Scripture in order to eliminate masculine pronouns for God. Some in church leadership believe that using exclusively masculine language for God is sexist and oppressive. So all the Psalms in the ELCA hymnal have been changed to get rid of "He" for God. Tonight we sang a wonderful hymn, but I stumbled as I tried to sing it. The hymn is "Earth and all stars" which originally read "He has done marvelous things, I too shall praise Him with a new song." Can't have that. It was desexed to "GOD has done marvelous things, I too will PRAISE GOD with a new song." The ELCA has also changed the Apostle's Creed. The pronoun police changed Jesus being "His only Son" to "God's only Son." And Jesus "descending into Hell" has been changed to "descending to the dead."
So, getting rid of the mention of Hell, getting rid of the Bible's language for God made for an unsettling worship service.
May we unashamedly continue to worship God the way Jesus has revealed Him to us: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Pastor Tom Brock
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21
Former ELCA seminary student and former ELCA member who is fed up with the ELCA's consistent mockery of God's Word.
If you have been helped and blessed by Exposing the ELCA's ministry, please help us continue to proclaim the truth of God's Word to ELCA members who need to hear it.
Give online by clicking the "donate" button below:
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. - Ephesians 5:11