A couple of the ARCUS Foundation’s stated goals are to “(e)nsure that denominations and faith-based institutions affirm LGBT moral equality and support LGBT rights,” and “(s)upport pro-LGBT faith-based leaders who form, sustain and drive the movement or LGBT moral equality and civil rights.”
Interestingly, the ARCUS Foundation, who has been active over the years in attempting to and succeeding to sway the ELCA leadership to adopt a new non-Biblical stance on homosexuality, have a six point strategy to accomplish their goals. They are:
- Organize and advocate for denominational and institutional change.
- Build and leverage alliances with progressive faith-based social justice groups.
- Strengthen the knowledge, skills and tools of pro-LGBT faith-based leaders.
- Position religious voices to assume pro-LGBT state and national leadership roles.
- Catalyze international pro-LGBT faith-based advocacy
- Develop new funder resources to support the program’s goals and ensure long-term movement sustainability.
The fact that the ARCUS Foundation is still funding ELCA targeted activities means that they have more plans for our denomination. They are not content with what they already have.
For a more in-depth article about what the ARCUS Foundation is up to see this article.