Bishop Jim Gonia of Rocky Mountain Synod was so excited, he starting blogging about the election while he was sitting in the Southwest CA assembly after watching it take place. You should read what he says. I am greatly disturbed by it. ELCA bishop Jim Gonia credited the Holy Spirit for Rev. Erwin's election victory. He said, "When the final vote was taken amid the Scripture readings and prayer that accompanied each round, there was no doubt in my mind that the Assembly as a whole was making its choice. . . based on the leading of the Spirit who was helping to identify the right person for this role in this part of the church at this time." Bishop Gonia also said, "I will continue to give thanks to the Spirit for leading our brothers and sisters in Southwest California to choose the right person for this chapter of their life and for the sake of our shared witness in the world." (see here)
It is blasphemous to claim the Holy Spirit inspired the vote of someone who is openly and unrepentantly living in sin.
God tells us in His Word, "This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil." - 1 Timothy 3:1-7
The ELCA continues to place their thoughts above God's thoughts, their ways above God's ways.
Below are some articles about the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America electing their first openly homosexual bishop:
- ELCA Lutherans elect first openly gay bishop (Religion News Service) - See here.
- First US Lutheran Gay Bishop (pastor's blog) - See here.
- Rev. Guy Erwin: First Openly Gay Lutheran Bishop Elected To ELCA Southwest California Synod (The Huffington Post) - See here.
- ELCA elects first openly gay bishop (JSOnline) - See here.
- Lutheran assembly elects first openly gay bishop (NewsOK.com) - See here.
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Elects First Native American Bishop (Indian Country Today) - See here.
- Lutherans elect first openly gay bishop (CNN) - See here.
- Erwin is first gay, first American Indian ELCA synod bishop (The Lutheran) - See here.
- Gay Bishops, Lutheran Episcopalians, and the Demise of Religion (aleteia.org) - See here.