ELCA Leaders at National Headquarters Demonstrate 'to Bring Attention to Homicides Committed By Police'
ELCA Churchwide staff held a demonstration/die-in last week at the ELCA headquarters in Chicago. A die-in is a protest where participants simulate being dead. Here is how the ELCA explains what happened:
“Waves of protests over racial injustice blanketed the nation this week, and the ELCA churchwide staff joined that effort by gathering in front of the churchwide office in Chicago today for a prayer vigil/peaceful demonstration. Lying on the grass as a way to bring attention to homicides committed by police officers, participants called out dozens of names of people killed by police 'as a result of the color of their skin,' said a vigil organizer. #ELCA4Justice.” Posted by ELCA publication The Lutheran on facebook. (see here)
One person at the ELCA Churchwide die-in is seen holding her hands in the air similar to the “hands up, don't shoot” pose that arose from the Ferguson Missouri case and protests, as you can see here.
Everyone who supports police officers should be offended by these words and actions.
That's not all. Here are some more actions/statements the ELCA has made originating from the Michael Brown issue:
- This from the ELCA Advocacy Network: "A message to the ELCA Advocacy Network on the decision that there will be no indictment in the shooting of Michael Brown
Today we are saddened. Sad that Michael Brown is dead and his family is grieving, that the deaths of young black males by police still happen too often in our communities, and that a rite of passage in young black lives is to learn survival skills for negotiating being out and about in the world and encountering law enforcement. We are also sad that police will be painted by the same broad brush, and that our justice system has left us and our neighbors wondering about its fairness.” (see here)
- This from the ELCA's Pacific Lutheran University facebook page: “Today in Red Square, PLU students, staff and faculty are staging a day of silent observation out of respect for those lost to racialized violence. All are welcome to attend to honor those voices we have lost. #PLUforJustice #FergusonDecision”
- The ELCA Presiding Bishop posted a video message about the recent events here.
- Because of the recent events the ELCA's Presiding Bishop, as well as a number of ELCA synods are is calling on ELCA members to wear black to church next Sunday (see here and here).
- Pictures from a die-in during Eucharist at the ELCA's Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia. (see below or here)
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21
Former ELCA seminary student and former ELCA member who is fed up with the ELCA's consistent mockery of God's Word.
If you have been helped and blessed by Exposing the ELCA's ministry, please help us continue to proclaim the truth of God's Word to ELCA members who need to hear it.
Give online by clicking the "donate" button below:
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. - Ephesians 5:11