Grand View University is an ELCA college located in Des Moines, Iowa. Some Bible-honoring leaders have looked to this school with optimism, thinking it may be a worthy place to send their students. I have not found this to be true. With that, let's take a look at what is being lifted up on campus.
- Last summer Grand View University hosted the second annual summit for elderly LGBT people called "Gay & Gray in the Midwest." (see here) Not my idea of a Bible honoring summit.
- Grand View also has a "Pride" Club. Here is what is said about the Pride Club on the Grand View website, "People Respecting Individual Differences Everywhere. Provides students with an engaging and safe learning atmosphere. We seek to educate students and faculty about what it means to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. We hold a nonjudgmental view of one’s sexual orientation. We want to serve the community at large as well as our school community. We celebrate and support each other individually. We seek to teach acceptance so that the future generations will not be afraid to speak out about or live their sexual orientation." Joshua Call, an English Professor is the group’s advisor. (Find the club in the “Campus Clubs and Organizations” here.)
- Grand View’s website tells us the school is hosting "An Evening With Aunt Nona." It goes on to say that "The Grand View Theatre Department is excited to host Aunt Nona on Saturday, August 8. Share a dressing room with Aunt Nona before she makes her debut on the Great White Way…in Fargo, North Dakota. Nona fills her hour pre-show with stand-up, improv, and storytelling as she explores the idiosyncrasies of the life she leads. Trying to find her way in the world, she joyfully recounts her jaunts through a world of jingle writing, cookies and bars, gay nephews, boyfriends, drag queens, mothers, meat raffles, and lady locker rooms." (see here)
- On Grand View’s “All for One - Diversity Alliance” page we find:
“Grand View appreciates and values the diversity inherent in our campus community. Differences in race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, and physical ability contribute to an enriching environment that celebrates our common values and augments the strength of our campus community. As members of an open and affirming institution, we are proud of the diversity and harmony of our students, faculty, and staff.” (see here)
- The Grand View Student Handbook allows “Each student…to have a guest of either sex stay with them for up to three nights at a time.” (see here, page 82)
- Kendall Dillon, the Vice President for Marketing and Communications formerly worked for the nation’s largest abortion provider. Grand View’s website says “Kendall worked for Planned Parenthood in marketing and communications roles.” (see here) Planned Parenthood aborted over 320,000 babies in 2014 alone.
When you consider these things, also take into account that Grand View is a college of the very liberal Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, a denomination that is pro-abortion, pro-homosexuality, pro-gay marriage, anti-Israel and twists Scripture to fit their causes. What kind of education will your children receive? If you are a Bible-believing Christ follower, an ELCA school is the last place they should go.