Lutheran Services in America (LSA) says it is an “alliance of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, (and) The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod" and these two denominations are "active in LSA's governance, provide grant support, designate staff liaisons to LSA, and collaborate programmatically with LSA.” (read here) Lutheran Social Services operates in many states and are member organizations of LSA. (read here)
With that said, you need to know what you and/or your church may be supporting.
- Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota proudly proclaims “We are happy to help many gay and lesbian families expand through our domestic adoption programs” (read here).
- The ELCA's official magazine The Lutheran, way back in 2002 writes, “Susan Gregory, chief operating officer of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois, said: 'If clinical judgment indicates that placement with a prospective adoptive family is in the best interest of a child, we don't discriminate based on the gender orientation of the parent in the home.'” (read here)
- A recent article from the Huffington Post tells the story of a gay ELCA pastor and his male partner adopting a son. The article states, "New York’s Lutheran Social Services welcomed them with open arms" when they were seeking to adopt. (read here)
- Another gay couple adoption story in a Wisconsin newspaper writes "'We worked with Lutheran Social Services, and they recommended we go with a single-parent adoption because there was no precedent in Outagamie County for both of us to adopt,' Teege Mettille said. Wisconsin law outlines adoption for married husbands and wives jointly, or single individuals. Because the state does not allow same-sex couples to wed, it makes 'co-parent' adoptions difficult.” (read here)
- This website shows Gay Adoption Services in Topeka, KS. Included in the list is Lutheran Social Services Of Kansas. (read here)
I suggest each of us ask our pastor and church council if our church or denomination supports or cooperates with Lutheran Social Services. If they do, share this blog with them.